Chorizo and Smart Fried Egg Breakfast Tacos
- 8 oz Caribbean Passion chorizo sausages
- 4 large Smart Eggs
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large potato, finely chopped
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced chives, divided
- 1 tbsp minced cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 4 lightly charred (5-6”) corn tortillas
- Mix of cheddar and pepper jack cheese, grated
- Optional hot sauce for serving
- Place a large sauté pan over medium heat and add oil.Add potato dices and sauté for 4 – 5 mins or until potatoes begin to brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add diced onion and garlic and continue to sauté for an additional 4 – 5 mins.
- Add chorizo and stir together until everything is well combined.
- Continue to cook mixture for about 5 mins or until chorizo has cooked through and potatoes are just about fork tender. Stir in 1 tbsp chives and cilantro and cook mixture for about 1 min, Remove from heat and adjust seasonings.
- Place a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat and add 1 tbsp. Once butter melts and pan is hot add the 2 Smart Eggs and fry until the whites have cooked through, the edges are crispy and the yolks are still runny 4 – 6 mins. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer fried eggs to a baking sheet and set aside.
- Repeat with remaining butter and eggs.
- To assemble: Spread tortillas out on a large platter and top each with a quarter of the chorizo-potato mixture. Top each taco with a fried egg and finish with a sprinkle of chives, some grated cheese (if using) and some hot sauce. Serve.