Eggs in Purgatory
- 6 Smart Eggs
- 2 tbsp Extra-virgin olive oil More for drizzling on toast
- 2 large Cloves of Garlic 1 thinly sliced and 1 halved
- 3 Anchovy Fillets Minced
- Red Pepper Flakes More to taste and for serving
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp Fine Sea Salt More to Taste
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 large Sprig Fresh Basil and/or Rosemary
- 2 tbsp Grated Parmesan More for Serving
- 1 tbsp Unsalted Butter More to Taste
- Sliced Crusty Bread For Serving
- Small Handful Chopped Basil or Parsley For Garnish
- In a large skillet with a lid, heat oil over medium heat. Add the sliced garlic, anchovies and red-pepper flakes and cook until the garlic turns golden brown at the edges, about 1 min. Stir in tomatoes, salt, pepper and basil sprig, then turn heat to medium-low.
- Simmer until the tomatoes break down and thicken into a sauce, 20-25 mins. Stir in Parmesan, butter, salt and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Using the back of a spoon, make 6 divots into the tomato sauce, then crack an egg into each divot. Cover the pan and let cook until the eggs are set, about 2 to 3 mins for runny yolks or longer based on your preference. (If the pan is not covered, the eggs won't cook through.)
- Meanwhile, toast the bread then rub with the cut garlic clove, drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with salt.
- To serve, sprinkle eggs with more Parmesan and chopped herbs, then spoon onto plates or into shallow bowls. Serve with garlic toast and pass pepper flakes at the table.