Garlic Herb Butter Roast Chicken
- 1 whole CB Chicken (4-5 pound) – giblets and neck removed from cavity
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup white wine, (optional: use a dry wine like a Sauv blanc or Chardonnay)
- 1 lemon, halved
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 head garlic, roughly peeled and cut in half horizontally
- 3 whole fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1. Preheat oven to 430°F. Line a baking tray with foil, or lightly grease a roasting pan.
- 2. Discard neck from inside the cavity and remove any excess fat and leftover feathers. Rinse chicken under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towels.
- 3. Pour the olive oil, melted butter, wine (if using) and the juice of half a lemon over the chicken, under the skin and inside the cavity. Season chicken liberally on the outside and inside the cavity with salt and pepper. Sprinkle over the parsley.
- 4. Rub the minced garlic over the chicken, mixing all ingredients together over the chicken and under the skin.
- 5. Stuff the garlic head into the chicken cavity along with the rosemary sprigs and the squeezed lemon halve. Tie legs together with kitchen string.
- 6. Place breast-side up into baking tray or roasting pan. Roast for 1 hour and 15-20 minutes, basting half way through cooking time, until juices run clear when chicken thigh is pierced with a skewer.
- 7. Baste again, then broil for a further 2-3 minutes, until golden.
- 8. Remove from the oven, cover with foil and allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving. Serve, drizzled with pan juices and remaining lemon half cut into wedges or slices.