Butter Fried Chicken and Waffles
For the brine
- 4 CB Chicken breast quarters
- 2 cups buttermilk
- ½ tsp salt + for seasoning chicken
- ½ tsp pepper + for seasoning chicken
- 2 tbsp hot sauce
For frying the chicken
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Canola or peanut oil
- In a zip lock bag, add the brine ingredients together. Seal the bag and massage ingredients together.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add them to the brine. Seal the bag. Let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator ½ hr before you start to fry.
- Set up two wide bowls for dredging. In one bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. Add the buttermilk to the other bowl.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
- In a medium heavy bottom skillet or oven, heat about 1 cup of canola oil over medium to high head, until it is between 350°-375°F.
- Dip chicken into the flour mixture, then the buttermilk, then back into the flour. Tap off excess flour and gently place chicken breasts one at a time into the oil so as not to crowd the pan. Fry for 25 minutes, turning occasionally until the chicken is crispy and deep golden brown.
- Transfer chicken to a baking sheet lined with paper towels to drain. Place the baking sheet in the oven to keep chicken warm.
- Add a little more oil to the pan if necessary, and fre the other breasts one at a time in the same way. Drain and add to the baking sheet in the oven to keep warm.
- Serve alongside scrambled Chippenham Eggs and waffles drizzled with maple syrup and butter.