Ackee and Corned Pork
- 2 doz ackees, cleaned (or, 2 cans pre-cooked ackees)
- 1lb Caribbean Passion corned pork
- ½ of 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 sliced hot pepper
- 2 slices green sweet pepper
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Escallion, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp ketchup (optional)
- 4 cups water to cook the pork
- 2 cups of water to cook the ackees
- ¼ tsp salt to cook the ackees
- Remove the corned pork from packaging, dice, cover and set aside.
- Boil the ackees and remove from pot. This will take an additional 15 minutes. If using canned ackee, do not boil; simply add to large skillet in step 3.
- Put a skillet or Dutch pot on medium heat with oil to be hot. *For crispy corned pork: Fry in hot oil for about 15-20 mins or until the pork becomes crisp and brown in colour.
- Add and sauté the onion, sweet and hot peppers. Add the ackee and the pork (if not made crispy; if made crispy, leave in skillet and add other ingredients).
- Sprinkle with black pepper. Add ketchup, lower heat, cover the pot and simmer for about 2-3 mins.
- Remove from heat, garnish with scallion and serve.