Callaloo Jerk Chicken Sausage Breadfruit Tacos
- 1 pack Caribbean Passion Jerk Chicken Sausage
- 4 cups callaloo
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 green onions
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 medium tomato
- salt to taste
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- Peel the outer membrane of each stalk of callaloo and remove the outer old leaves. Place callaloo in a bowl and cover with cold water, place 1/2 tsp salt and set aside while preparing remaining vegetables. Discard water then rinse with water and drain. Chop callaloo
- Roast Breadfruit on the stove or on an open fire outdoor for 30 – 40 minutes. After roasting breadfruit, slice from the top or based of the fruit into thinly sliced “rounds”.
- In a Medium size frying pan over medium heat, add breadfruit rounds and fry on both sides until they start to change colour and size. When the heat touches them, you will notice they start to shrink and form a “C” shape as if they are touching each other. This is the desired Taco shape you want and you can remove it from frying pan. Do not fry too crisp as they will start to break.
- Remove Breadfruit “rounds” from heat and use the toothpicks to sort of pin them together towards the middle so they hold the “Taco shell shape.”
- In the large skillet add tablespoon oil, add diced sausages and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the remaining oil, add onion, garlic, spring onion, bell pepper, thyme, tomato, and scotch bonnet pepper on medium heat, sauté; until onion is translucent. Add callaloo allow to simmer on low heat for 5-10 minutes or until tender. Add and mix Jerk Sausages.
- Fill the Tacos with the Callaloo & Sausage Bites and serve!