Caribbean Passion Apple Butter Ham
For the Apple Butter:
- 5 lb Gala apples, quartered (not peeled)
- 4 cup apple juice
- 2 ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- Juice of 1 lemon
For the Glazed Ham:
- 1 Caribbean Passion bone-in leg ham (approx 10 lbs)
- 1 cup apple butter
- ½ cup honey
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- For the apple butter, in a large pot, combine the apples with the apple juice. Cook on low heat until the apples are tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from heat and pass through a fine sieve. Put the puree back in the stockpot. Bring to a simmer and add the remaining ingredients. Cook on low heat for about 1½ hour until it’s reduced by half and thickens up, stirring regularly and skimming the surface if necessary. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Put the ham into a roasting pan pour in water half way up then cover the pan with foil well to steam.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Bake for 45 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine apple butter, honey and Dijon mustard. Peel off the skin of the ham, score the fat and brush it with the apple butter mixture. Pour water in the bottom of the pan. Place in the oven and cook for 1 1/2 hours, making sure to baste it with sauce every 15 minutes during cooking process. Remove ham from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before carving.