Chub Ham and Pimento Penne
- 10 oz Penne pasta
- 6-7 slices Caribbean Passion chub ham snipped into small pieces
- t tbsp Olive oil
- 4 Spring onions finely chopped
- 5½ oz Roasted red peppers in oil from a jar, drained and chopped
- 1 Large garlic clove crushed
- 7 oz Full-fat crème fraîche
- 30 gram Packet flat-leaf parsley leaves roughly chopped
- 30 gram Packet basil leaves roughly chopped
- 1 oz Parmesan finely grated to garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the pasta in a pan of boiling salted water according to the packet instructions, then drain, reserving some of the cooking water.
- Meanwhile, place a large frying pan over a high heat. Fry the chub ham for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the oil to the pan, along with the spring onions, roasted red peppers and garlic. Fry, stirring occasionally, for 2 mins.
- Add the crème fraîche and bring to the boil, then add the drained pasta with half of the crispy ham, most of the herbs and some salt and pepper. Stir over the heat for a few mins, or until everything is hot.
- Add a splash of the reserved cooking water if the sauce seems too thick, and sprinkle over the remaining crispy ham and cheese to serve.
- Used 1 cup of heavy cream instead of crème fraiche
- Added cheese at the end
- Add 1.5 tablespoon ground pimento