Croque Madame With Copperwood Extra Lean Bacon
- 8 slices Copperwood Pork Extra Lean Bacon
- 2 Smart Eggs
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese, divided
- ½ tsp fresh thyme leaves
- Pinch fresh grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 thick slices bread
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside. Preheat broiler.
- In medium skillet add butter and melt over heat.
- Once butter is melted, whisk in flour until mixture is smooth. Slowly whisk in milk until mixture starts to thicken. Remove from heat and whisk in ½ cup swiss cheese, thyme leaves, nutmeg, salt and ground pepper.
- Lay out bread and spread each slice with ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard; top with 1 tablespoon swiss cheese sauce.
- Top 2 slices of bread with 4 slices bacon and 2 tbsp shredded swiss cheese.
- Place bread slices on baking sheet. Broil in oven until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and top with remaining slice of bread, cheese sauce side down. Top each sandwich with equal parts swiss cheese sauce and remaining shredded swiss cheese.