Crown Roast with Sage Pecan Stuffing and Balsamic Glaze
For the Roast
- 1 prepared CB crown roast – 10 lbs or 12-14 ribs
- 2 tbsp fresh sage, chopped – reserve few leaves for garnish or 1 tbsp dried
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves or 1 tbsp dried
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- Salt and pepper, for seasoning
- 2 cups water or stock
- Fresh orange slices, for garnish
For the glaze
- 2 oranges juiced
- 1 tangerine juiced
- Few strips of the citrus peel, just outer skin
- 4 tbsp aged balsamic
- 1 tbsp honey
- Sea salt to taste
For the stuffing
- 4 cups slices day old bread, cubed
- 1 tbsp or 1/2 tbsp fresh sage or dried sage
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves or dried thyme
- 3 stalks celery, stripped and diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ½ cup pecans
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1. Scrape the meat from the tips of the roast (French them). Make a light incision between each rib. Combine the sage, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl and stir. Rub the herbs over the roast, cover and rest in the fridge for 2-24 hours.
- 2. Bring the roast to room temperature. Heat the oven to 350°F. Put the roast on a roasting rack and add the water and citrus peel strips to the pan. Cover with foil and roast for 1 hour.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, heat 1 tbsp of butter. Add celery, carrots and onions and sauté until soft. Melt the other tbsp of butter in the pan with the olive oil. Add the bread, sage, thyme and white wine. Stir in the pecans, reserving a few for the top of the stuffing.
- 4. After 1 hour, take out the roast, pour off the cooking juices and reserve. Spoon the stuffing into the roast’s cavity and top with remaining pecans. Cover the stuffing and rib tips. Place back into the oven and roast for another 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a thermometer inserted near the bone registers 150°F. 30 minutes before the roast is done, take the foil off so the top of the stuffing can brown. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 20 minutes before carving.
- 5. To make the glaze: Place the reserved pan juices in a saucepan, add the citrus juices, balsamic and honey. Stir and bring to a simmer, reduce the heat and continue to simmer gently just until thickened. Add salt and adjust seasoning to taste. Garnish roast with fresh sage and citrus slices if desired and serve glaze with roast and stuffing.