Mince Jamaican Jerk Patty
- 1 lb Copperwood Pork Mince
- 1 large size yellow or red onion, finely chopped
- 3 stalks fresh scallion, finely chopped
- 1 Scotch Bonnet pepper
- ½ cup breadcrumbs, add more if needed
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp olive oi
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
For Patty Pastry Dough:
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp turmeric powder
- ice cold water
- Set stove to medium low setting and add the pork mince into saucepan with 1 cup of water and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Cook and simmer meat for approximately 20–30 minutes. Once the meat has absorbed most of the water. Add in the chopped onions, scallions, salt, black pepper, minced garlic, scotch bonnet, or bell peppers, paprika, thyme, and all spice, and stir till well combined.
- Add in the breadcrumbs slowing and stir to combine mixture.
- Add in the butter and combine. Once butter is mixed in, remove pork mince from heat and set aside.
Patty Pastry Dough:
- In a standing mixer bowl with a hook attachment add the all-purpose flour, salt, sugar, turmeric powder, butter and mix on low speed until a crumble texture is developed. If you don’t have a mixer you can cut in the fat using your fingers or with a fork. A food processor will also work with just 6-8 pulses.
- Add in the ice-cold water and mix until ingredients are well combined, and the pastry dough slightly developed.
- Remove dough and wrap in plastic, place into refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 365F (185C)
- Remove chilled dough from refrigerator and divide it into 12 equal parts for large patties or 20 equal parts for small patties.
- Roll each dough piece into a ball and flatten round using a rolling pin to about 4 mm.
- For large pieces fill each pastry disc with two to 3 tablespoons of filling around the center of the pastry dough. For smaller patties fill dough with 1 – 1/2 tablespoons of meat filling.
- Overlap the pastry dough to resemble a half moon crescent and pinch the outer end with a fork to seal the seams.
- Place the patties onto a lined baking tray and bake in the middle rack for 25-30 minutes or until beef patty is light golden browned.