Sorrel Champagne Picnic ham
- 1 Caribbean Passion picnic ham (or your favourite ham)
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 bottle champagne
- 2 cups fresh or dried sorrel pods
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove all the packaging and nets from the ham.
- Wrap the ham in several layers of foil and place in a baking pan. Fill the baking dish with water.
- Place ham in the oven to warm, 10 mins per pound (6-8 mins for a boneless ham).
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, champagne and sorrel. Allow this to cook on medium-low heat until it becomes a light syrup about 20 mins.
- Remove ham from oven, discard water and remove foil. Peel away the skin and carve off the desired amount of fat. Using a sharp knife, score the ham diagonally.
- Pour the sorrel syrup over the ham (strain so you pour only the sauce on the ham, not the pods).
- Increase oven temperature to 475°F – 500°F. Add the ham, occasionally basting until dark and caramelized.
- Remove from the oven when it has reached the desired colour and allow it to rest before carving.
- Serve remaining sauce on the side.