Spiced Maple Picnic Ham
- 1 Caribbean Passion picnic ham (or your favourite ham)
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup star anise
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 2 cups maple syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove all the packaging and nets from the ham.
- Wrap the ham in several layers of foil and place in a baking pan. Fill the baking dish with water.
- Place ham in the oven to warm, 10 mins per pound (6-8 mins for a boneless ham).
- Make the spice mix by combining cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, star anise, and allspice
- In a saucepan, add brown sugar, maple syrup, and spice mix. Bring to boil, then reduce to a simmer for 15 mins and remove from the heat.
- Remove ham from oven, discard water and remove foil.
- Peel away the skin and carve off the desired amount of fat. Using a sharp knife, score the fat score the fat diagonally.
- Stick a single clove into the center of each diamond. Pour spiced syrup over the top of the ham.
- Increase oven temperature to 475°F – 500°F. Add the ham, occasionally basting until golden brown.
- Remove from oven when it has reached the desired colour, allow to rest before carving.
- Make sure the star anise is not on the top of the ham when it goes back into the 450°F oven, or it will burn; it should be in the sauce in the baking pan.