Tamarind Ginger Ham
- 1 Caribbean Passion boneless leg ham (or your favourite ham)
- 15 tamarind pods
- ½ cup sliced ginger
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1½ cups water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove all the packaging and nets from the ham.
- Wrap the ham in several layers of foil and place in a baking pan. Fill the baking dish with water.
- Place ham in the oven to warm, 6-8 mins per pound for a boneless ham (10 mins for a bone-in ham).
- In a saucepan combine the deshelled tamarind, sliced ginger water, sugar and honey. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer mashing the tamarind to release the seeds.
- Strain the sauce to remove the seeds. You can reserve the ginger slices or discard them with the seeds.
- Remove ham from oven, discard water and remove foil. Using a sharp knife, score the ham diagonally.
- Increase oven temperature to 475°F – 500°F. Add the ham, occasionally for 10 minutes to allow the sauce to caramelize on top.
- Remove from oven when it has reached the desired colour, allow to rest before carving.