The Perfect Roast Chicken
- 1 CB Whole Chicken (or a CB 8 cut Chicken)
- 3 medium carrots
- 4-6 potatoes
- 1 bulb garlic
- 5 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 whole lemon
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 1. Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- 2. Halve the carrots lengthways, quarter the potatoes, lightly crush the unpeeled garlic cloves and pick the rosemary leaves then place them all in a large roasting tray.
- 3. Drizzle with oil, season with salt and black pepper, toss well and spread out in an even layer.
- 4. Rub the chicken all over with a pinch of salt and pepper and a drizzle of oil. Stuff the chicken cavity with the lemon and thyme, and then place it in the tray.
- 5. Reduce the oven temperature to 200°C, then add the chicken and roast for 45 minutes.
- 6. Remove the tray from the oven, use tongs to turn the vegetables over, and spoon any juices from the tray over the chicken. Return the tray to the oven for a further 30 minutes.
- 7. Pierce the chicken thigh with a knife, and the juices run clear, the chicken is done. Otherwise return the tray to the oven, cook for a little while longer and repeat the test.
- 8. Once cooked, transfer the chicken to a board, cover it with foil and leave it to rest for 10 minutes.
- 9. Using a sharp carving knife, carve up the chicken and serve with the roasted veg. Delicious with a green salad on the side.