Bad Dawg Toppers
Topper: Chunky Guacamole
- 1 ripe avocado pear
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped – reserve a little for garnish
- 2 T. sour cream
- 2 T chopped scallion
- 1 T olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 red chili pepper finely sliced – these are hot so adjust for your taste
- Sea salt to taste
Halve the avocado and remove the seed and skin. Dice and reserve about 2 slices of the diced avocado. Place the rest of the avocado, cilantro, sour cream, scallion, olive oil and lime juice in a food processor and process until smooth. Add salt to taste. Transfer to a bowl. Stir the rest of the cilantro and top with chili. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Topper: Jackfruit & Black bean salsa
- ½ cup fit jackfruit flesh – peeled, seeded and pegged
- 1 T vegetable oil
- ½ cup cooked black beans
- 2 plum tomatoes – seeded and diced
- ½ cup corn – shucked from the cob
- ¼ cup diced sweet peppers – diced
- 1 small red onion – diced
- 1 T scallion – diced
- Juice of 2 limes
Place the oil in a sauté pan and sear the jackfruit over medium heat until just cooked through.Place in a bowl. Add the other ingredients, drizzle with lime juice and mix thoroughly. Refrigerate until ready to use. Spoon over the Bad Dawgs generously.
Topper: Diced mangoes and onion relish
- 1 ripe mango – peeled and diced
- 1 medium white onion – peeled and diced
- 2T chopped green peppers
- 2 T. rice wine vinegar
- 1 T. brown sugar
- 1 T Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 1 T butter
Heat the olive oil and butter in a skillet. Add the onions and peppers and sauté until the onions are translucent, moving them around in the pan occasionally. Add the diced mangoes, vinegar, brown sugar and stir to combine with the onions. Saute, until the sugar dissolves and the mangos begin to soften. Keep warm and spoon generously over Bad Dawgs.
Topper: Fried ripe plantain topped with feta cheese
- 2 ripe plantains – peeled and diced
- Oil for frying
- ¼ cup feta cheese – crumbled
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Fry the plantain in batches until golden brown. Place on paper towels to drain. Keep warm and spoon the fried plantain over Bad Dawgs and sprinkle the feta cheese on top.
Topper: Bahn Mi style pickled vegetables
- 1 medium carrot – peeled and julienne
- 1 small daikon – peeled and julienne
- 1 small cucumber – peeled and julienne
- 1 jalapeno pepper – thinly sliced
- 2 T fresh dill leaves
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ T sugar
- 1 t sea salt
Place the carrot, daikon, cucumber, pepper and dill in a heat-proof bowl. Combine the vinegar, water, sugar and salt in a saucepan, heat and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. Pour over the vegetables. Serve the quick pickled vegetables over the Bad Dawgs.
To assemble the Bad Dawgs:
- Heat the buns and keep warm.
- For the Bad Dawgs: You can prepare the Bad Dawgs in the oven or stovetop. If using stovetop, heat a large skillet if using oven, you will need a sheet pan and set the oven to 350 degrees. Make a split down the middle of each sausage, not slicing all the way through, just enough to be able to open and stuff with the toppings. Place the sausages in a baking tray and bake, turning occasionally. Or if using stove top, place the sausages in the warmed skillet in batches and heat through just until the colour begins to change. Heat or sauté the Bad Dawgs for about 10 minutes turning frequently.
Place a Bad Dawg on each bun. Spoon over your favourite toppings. Serve alongside sides such as:
- Pressed green plantain
- Jamaican chips – banana /breadfruit / cassava
- Shredded Cheese