Cheese and Chub Ham stuffed Yellow Yam
- 1 cup Shredded chub yam
- ½ cup Diced chub ham
- 3 cups Cooked yellow yam cooked in salted water
- ½ cup Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup Onion chopped
- ½ cup Red pepper chopped
- ½ Stick butter
- ¼ cup Whole milk or cream
- 1 Egg
For the Breading & Frying
- 2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 cups Flour
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ cup Milk
- Oil for deep frying
- Cook the yellow yam in salted water until falling apart tender.
- Shred and dice the chub ham.
- Chop the onion, sweet peppers and shred the cheese.
- Combine the diced ham, cheese, onions and peppers.
- Once the yam is cooked, drain, rinse and allow it to cool slightly.
- Mash the yams with the butter, egg, milk and shredded ham until it is the consistency of mashed potatoes.
- Take a portion of the yam mixture into wet hands and fill with the cheese and diced ham.
- Roll into a ball to seal completely.
- Place in the freezer to freeze for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees.
- Beat the eggs, place the Panko and flour in separate shallow dishes for dredging.
- Roll the frozen balls in flour, then eggs, and finally Panko.
- Deep-fry until golden brown and heated all the way through.
- Serve hot and crispy.
- The water you cook the yam in should taste salty.
- The stuffed yam balls can be made ahead and frozen, stored in a freezer bag and fried later.
- They go very well with honey mustard or a garlic mayo dipping sauce.
- Make sure your hands are wet to form the balls, that way the mixture won’t stick. Continually wet your hands until all the balls are formed.