Chub Ham Gungo Pea Soup
- 4 ½ cup green gungo
- 8 cup water
- 1 coconut milk
- 4 stalks scallion
- 4-5 sprigs of thyme
- 2 medium onions
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 cup yellow yam
- 1 large potato
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tbsp allspice
- 1 scotch Bonnet pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 ½ tbsp all purpose seasoning or bouillon
- 1 tbsp sugar (optional)
for the dumpling (spinnaz)
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup water
- Slice the chub ham in half, with one half cut into four large chunks and placeinto a pressure cooker with the green gungo and garlic.
- Dice the other half into bite sized cubes and set aside.
- Pressure the peas and chub ham for 20 minutes until the peas are tender and themeat pulls apart easily.
- Knead the flour and water together to form a dough and set aside.
- Peel the yam and potatoes and chop into large chunks.
- In a large pot add the entire contents of the pressure cooker.
- Using a fork, pull and shred apart the ham
- Add scallion, onion, thyme, allspice, all purpose seasoning, salt, and sugar to the pot.
- Bring to a boil and add the yam, potatoes, scotch bonnetandthe coconut milk.
- Form little dumplings with the dough and add to the soup.
- Allow thesoup to cook for 35 to 40 minutes,the colourwill deepen,the soup will thicken,and the yam and potatoes will be fully cooked.
- Once it’s at the desired thickness remove all the scallion and thyme, thendiscard.
- Add the diced chub ham alongwith some fresh chopped scallion and thyme leaves. Simmer for 2-3 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Serve hot.