Corned Pork Stuffed Breadfruit
- 4 oz Caribbean Passion corned pork, cut in cubes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6 okras, sliced in rings
- 1 breadfruit, remove the stem and prep for roasting by making a cross cut at the top and bottom of the breadfruit
- 2 – 3 tbps butter
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Chopped escallion
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the pickling:
- 1 Scotch Bonnet pepper, diced
- ½ cho-cho, julienne
- 1 carrot, julienne
- 1 onion, julienne
- 3 pimento grains
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 cup cane vinegar
- Place the cho-cho, carrot, onion, pimento, Scotch Bonnet, and thyme in a clean jar. Heat the cane vinegar and simmer for 10 mins. Pour the vinegar over the vegetables and set aside until ready to use.
- Roast the breadfruit on the stovetop or on an outdoor fire until tender, turning periodically until all sides are blackened and the breadfruit starts to steam, about 45 mins. Allow to cool. Halve the breadfruit, remove the core and discard. If serving in the skin, run a knife around the edge to loosen the flesh. Carefully remove the cooked flesh and place on a cutting board. Reserve the blackened skin ‘bowl’ of the breadfruit to serve.
- Cut the flesh into bit-sized pieces and place in a heat-proof bowl. Add 2 tbsp of butter to the breadfruit and mix well. Set aside and keep warm.
- Fry the corned pork in a skillet until all the fat is rendered out. Place on paper towel to drain. Add 1 tbsp of butter and 1 tbsp coconut oil to the skillet. Add the onion, okras and escallion and sauté. Add the corned pork, sautéed onion and okras to the bowl of breadfruit. Mix well to combine then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the mixture into the breadfruit skin ‘bowls’. Top with vegetables, pepper pickling and enjoy.