Jerk Sausage Jalapeno Cornbread
- 3 Caribbean Passion jerk sausage links
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 3 jalapenos (seeds removed)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 14 oz can creamed corn
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 Chippenham Eggs
- 1 stick salted butter
- ½ cup onion
- ¼ to ½ cup brown sugar (For a less sweet more savoury cornbread use ¼ cup sugar if you like a sweet cornbread use ½ cup)
- Pre heat the oven to 375֯F
- Melt the butter in a cast iron skillet pour off the butter and set aside to cool.
- Slice the sausages into bit size chunks.
- Remove the seeds from the jalapenos and finely chop.
- Finely chop the onions.
- In the residual butter, sauté thesausages, once they start to brown add the onions and jalapenos and allow those to soften.
- Remove from the heat set aside to cool.
- Reserve 8 to 10 slices of sausage for the top of the cornbread.
- Blend together the sugar, salt, buttermilk and eggs
- in a large bowl, sift together, flour, cornmeal, baking powder and baking soda.
- To the flour mixture, add the creamed corn, milk mixture and cooled melted butter stir to combine
- Stir in the sauté onion and jalapeno and the sauté jerk sausages.
- Heat the cast iron skillet until its just starting to get hot.