Rum and Ginger Pots de Creme
- 4 Chippenham eggs + 4 extra yolks
- ¼ lb Jamaican ginger, washed, peeled and sliced
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ¾ c up white sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tbsps Dark Jamaican rum
- 1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, add ginger, milk and cream and bring to a simmer until just below boiling. Switch off heat and let cream mixture cool down to room temperature to allow the ginger to infuse its flavour for about half hour.
- 2. In a bowl add eggs, egg yolks, sugar and salt then whisk until combined. Remove ginger from cooled cream mixture and pour into egg mixture, continue whisking until fully incorporated. Add rum.
- 3. Preheat to 300F. fill a kettle with water and bring it to a boil
- 4. Add 8 ramekins to a deep baking tray and pour boiling water all around them until it reaches half way up the ramekins.
- 5. Carefully place baking tray in the oven and for 35 to 40 minutes.
- 6. Remove baking tray from the oven with caution and take ramekins out of the water. Dry ramekins, cool down to room temperature, cover with cling film and then transfer to the fridge to chill down for a few hours or preferably overnight. When ready to serve, remove cling film and top with grated chocolate.