Streaky Bacon Sorrel Ham
- 7 kgs Caribbean Passion bone-in leg ham
- 1 pack Caribbean Passion streaky bacon
- Cloves to garnish
For the glaze:
- 2 cups sorrel juice
- 1 cup honey
- 1 tbsp finely ground pimento
- 2 packs fresh sorrel
- 1 cup spicy sorrel chutney
- ½ tbs ground cloves
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Ensure ham is completely defrosted. Peel off the skin away from the ham and use a sharp knife to trim excess fat.
- Wrap the ham in 2 to 3 layers of foil then place on a roasting rack.
- Add 2 cups of water and a few cloves to the rack then place it in the oven to warm for 1 hour.
- Make the glaze by adding all ingredients to a pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer until the glaze thickens. Set aside.
- Remove the ham from the oven and remove the foil. Score the fat diagonally and insert a clove into the center of each square.
- Wrap the ham completely in the bacon strips pinning with toothpicks to secure.
- Brush the glaze all over the ham and bacon.
- Increase oven to 400F and place the ham in oven for another 30 minutes, brushing with glaze every 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve with extra glaze on the side.